Easy Peasy Dinner
It’s 4pm. You run in after a long, busy day, kids are getting hungry, husband home very soon, what is your thought? “What the hell am I gonna cook for dinner tonight?” Here’s an easy peasy dinner.
Well look no further for some ideas. Today I am going to share this easy peasy chicken and leek recipe. I originally found this recipe in an Annabel Karmel baby/toddler cookbook. She makes it as a gorgeous pie topped with mashed potato and baked. I cook it a little differently now, mainly to save time but also, as you do with recipes, I like to make my own changes. I hope this gives you a good idea for tonights dinner 🙂
Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes (you prep each part as you go)
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 3 & 1/2 chicken breasts
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 1 Large or 2 small leeks
- 100g frozen peas
- 675ml chicken stock
- 150ml double cream
- Teaspoon of salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1tsp dried parsley
- Handful fresh cut parsley
- Cut up your chicken breasts into pieces. I use scissors because I HATE cutting up chicken. Sprinkle your salt, ground pepper & dried parsley on top and brown. You don’t need to cook it through, the oven will do that for you later. In fact, your chicken will come out more tender if you don’t cook it through at this point.
- In a separate pot melt the butter. Then sauté the sliced up leeks and cook for 5-10 minutes on a medium heat,stirring continuously, until tender.
- Once the leeks are cooked sift in the flour slowly,mixing it in with leek & butter mix, creating a paste consistency.
4. Next slowly add the chicken stock, gently whisking as you do.
5. Stir in you cream and bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Stir in the frozen peas, chicken breast & fresh parsley.
7. Move to the oven for 20 minutes.
Best served over tagliatelle with crusty tiger bread on the side and a side of roasted vegetables.
Bon Appetit 🙂